Monday 4 June 2012

(AS-A2 project) Peter Callesen !!! A4 paper cutting...



this piece of paper cutting was created by a man named peter callesen, his work is mostly all around paper cutting, he has worked almost exclusively with white paper in different objects, paper cuts, installations and performances. a large part of his work has been created from using A4 sheets of paper, which is just amazing the designs he has achieved from a simple sheet of paper that most people don't think anything of. the design is for display purposes and has been called distant fish, I don't think that the title gives much away but it does add a deeper meaning for example tells that the bird is looking for a fish it gives it a little bit of a story and was created in 2006, and would be on display in exhibitions. 

the reason I have chosen to analyse this piece of work is because I love the way that he has used the most simple material no complex materials and its the simplicity of the design that makes it amazing he has created it by using acid-free A4 115gsm paper and glue and by folding the paper to create the objects and simply using glue to sick them together, making the most miss-able object in everyday life become unmissable is why I have chosen to analyse this piece. 

i have looked at websites from peter callesen to further my understanding of what type of work he does and also to try and understand the meanings behind his work, http://trendland.com/peter-callesen-paper-cut-sculpture/# this is a website that i looked at to gain further information behind how he thinks and i found out that to him its all about simplisty of the work, he uses the most simple piece of paper for a reason its to make an impact, he has a famous quote that you find on every website about him ” IT IS PROBABLY THE MOST COMMON AND CONSUMED MEDIA USED FOR CARRYING INFORMATION TODAY. THIS IS WHY WE RARELY NOTICE THE ACTUAL MATERIALITY OF THE A4 PAPER. BY TAKING AWAY ALL THE INFORMATION AND STARTING FROM SCRATCH USING THE BLANK WHITE A4 PAPER SHEET FOR MY CREATIONS, I FEEL I HAVE FOUND A MATERIAL THAT WE ARE ALL ABLE TO RELATE TO this is where he has found his inspiration from and that is his reason for using the simple paper. which I think is amazing, and a fresh way of thinking. callesen likes to think of his paper cuts as also illustrational art. to me I think that the theme of his work is based around the material the simplicity of using the white paper is a recurring theme in almost all of his paper cuttings. A4 plain paper is definitely the key element to this piece of work. 

when I first saw this piece of art work i was amazed it caught my eye straight away because I have never seen something so basic but so perfect. this piece has no negatives to it and I don't think many people would disagree with me, I haven't ever seen this type of paper cutting technique of the simple A4 paper been used before and that's what makes it so great. I think the work has inspired me to think more simple and also use the most common object and give it a whole new meaning that's when the art work really becomes amazing. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment